Joined: 22 Sep 2004
|Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:03 am Post subject: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
|Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What does it mean - SEO?
A: SEO is an acronym to Search Engine Optimization. It means optimizing your website so as to move it to the top places of search engine results.
Q: Why do I need to get to the top places?
A: Statistics say that 70% of search engines users only use top 3 results from the first search results page and don't look at others. Only 20% of users go to the second results page, and the third page is only viewed by about 10% of users. This means that if your website is on the second page by some search phrase it gains approx. 5 times less visitors than it could gain if it was in top ten! The simple conclusion from this fact is: you should optimize your site so that it would appear in the top ten.
Q: How can optimize my site?
A: Here are some basic tips:
1. Your site should be hosted on a reliable server, so choose your hosting company wisely. Whenever a search engine bot comes to your site and finds it unavialable - your site's rank decreases.
3. Search engines love content. You need to expand the content of your site constantly. Add more pages, write new articles, refresh the old ones and so on.
4. Search engines love relevant content. If your site is not relevant to some search term it won't get high rank. So if your site is about flowers it should have a lot of flowers related texts. Simple enough, yeah?
5. If you feel that some keywords are more important than others, you should distinguish it from others with heading style <h1>..<h6>, or bold font style <b>, <strong> etc. But don't try to convert all the text of your site to headings. Such site will read bad and search engines consider it a spam and drop your site down. So just divide the text of your site to paragraphs, entitle each one and give the appropriate heading to the whole page. A text that good for people is often good for search engines too.
6. Provide a relevant title for your page with <title> tag. Remember that first words of the title are more important than others, so you should include your target keywords at the beginning of the title text.
7. Entitle each picture with <img alt=..> parameter, especially if your site contains a lot of images. This will tell search engine what is represented on a picture. You can also include your target keywords to the alt tag.
8. Try to get as more inbound links to your site as possible. The more links you have, the more important your site looks for search engines. Though, avoid participating in links farms, FFA directories etc. Also try to have a links from the sites that are relevant or nearly related with your one. If you can, put your target keywords to the text of the link.
9. You cannot be the number one for all and every keywords. Choose 3-5 most important ones and sharpen your attention on them. Remember, that you may optimize each page of your site for a different set of keywords.